It's almost February, which I am officially naming the Month O' Derby. There is at least one bout every weekend within drivable distance. I plan to be up to my neck in wheels and fishnets.
Speaking of which, last night's bouts between Rainy City and UDL were nail-biters! I'm not kidding, my nails look horrible. UDL really stepped up their game in the second half and had an outstanding comeback. Unfortunately they lost in the last few minutes, partly due to time spent in the penalty box. Now whether all the penalties were warranted is a completely different question and one I wish to remain neutral on--I'm Switzerland.
Instead I choose to focus on the fact that UDL came back strong from a harsh first half and nearly took the bout from a great team on their home turf. That's no easy feat. So congrats ladies on a truly exciting game.
And of course I have to say outstanding job to the "Fresh Meat" UDL team who did beat Rainy City's Fresh Meat (on their home turf). If you heard somebody obnoxious on the sidelines it was probably me. I got a little loud. It's all the pent up energy from not being able to yell at you if I'm keeping time in the penalty box.
As for me I did a little skating myself at practice that morning. The chest cold is finally on its way out, but I'm out of shape from not skating all week. We did "suicides," which are normally pretty fun for me. You skate out fast, drop to one knee, spin around 180 degrees on said knee, then "pop" up within 2 seconds and continue skating (repeat). It wore me out!
I'm supposed to be able to practice with the more advanced girls starting Tuesday. But I feel really out of shape. Here's hoping they don't beat me up too bad. If Tuesday night all I can write is HELP ME, you'll know it went badly.
No comments:
Post a Comment